By the end of 2012 — a year the U.N. has dubbed “The Year for Sustainable Energy for All” — Nicaragua hopes to reduce its dependency on foreign oil by an additional 10 percent, finishing the year with an energy matrix that is 40 percent from renewable sources (hydroelectric, geothermal, wind and biomass).

And that’s just the beginning. By 2016, once the massive Tumarín hydroelectric plant comes on line, generating an additional 253 megawatts of power (50 percent of the country’s total energy demand), Nicaragua will generate 94 percent of its own electricity from renewable energy sources, and only have to pony up to world oil costs to cover the remaining 6 percent.

That means in a five-year period, Nicaragua will have gone from being the most oil-dependent nation in Central America, to the least.

Mansion de Chocolate hopes that all of thiw activity may help reduce electric costs in Nicaragua, which are now some of the highest in all of Latin America.